There’s a lot happening this summer with the CCLD Bookmobile. We are so excited to announce 3 new stops beginning soon.
- Fairport Terrace, Wygant Road, Horseheads, every other Thursday 4:00-4:30pm beginning July 7th.
- Hickory Grove Apartments, Horseheads, every other Monday 3:45-4:30pm beginning July 18th.
- Wesleyan Church, Beavers Dams, every other Wednesday 1:00-2:00pm starting on September 7th.
Besides new stops, CCLD Bookmobile will once again be visiting all the Summer Cohesion Sites, Big Flats Parks, and the Southport Parks. We actually see 700-800 children per week! The children will select books to read during the week and then return the following week to choose more. Each summer, Bookmobile staff looks forward to seeing familiar faces and meeting new children too.
On July 26th the Bookmobile will be hosting a special performer. Jim Cruise, The Spoon Man, will showcase his spoon playing talent in an interactive comedy routine.
- Families can come to one or all performances at the parks in Elmira’s Southside – Goodwin Park 9:15am, Chapel Park 9:45am and Draxler Park 10:15am. These are 20 minute performances.
- At 3:00pm, a full hour show will be held at the Southside Community Center.
You’ll have more opportunities to visit the CCLD Bookmobile in 2016 at special community events.
- July 16th: Horseheads Family Days at Thorne St Park, 12:00-3:00pm
- August 20th: Strong Kids Safe Kids at the Chemung Co Fair Grounds, 11:00am-3:00pm
- August 27th: Wellsburg Community Days where there will be venders all day and a parade at 2pm.
- October 8th: October Fest in Elmira Heights, 10:00am-4:00pm
- October 22nd: Pumpkin Express in Horseheads at the Sullivan Park, 1:00-5:00pm
If you see the Bookmobile stopped or parked, don’t be shy, come aboard and see what we have to offer. It’s not just for children. In fact, an Adult Book Discussion Club meets the 1st Friday of every month at the Bulkhead Hardware parking lot. The book title is announced the previous month and is posted on the CCLD website’s Calendar of Events. If you can’t join the group, call Kim Jones, the bookmobile driver, and let her know how you liked the book. She and her staff are always eager to answer any questions you may have or to assist with book, audio book, and DVD selections. Don’t hesitate to call 738-2476. See you soon!