101 E. Church St.
Elmira, NY 14901
M-TH: 9 AM – 9 PM
F: 9 AM – 5 PM
Closed Saturdays (until Fall) & Sundays
Reference / Genealogy: (607)733-9175
Youth Services: (607)733-9174
Business Office: (607)733-8607
The Steele Memorial Library was incorporated in 1893 by Esther Baker Steele and others as a memorial to her husband, Joel Dorman Steele. The library was first located in the Realty Building at the corner of Lake & Market streets, beginning 1923 at Lake and East Church streets, and since 1979 at the corner of Church and Clemens Center Parkway. A major renovation was undertaken between 1999 – 2001 resulting in new interior design, furnishings, carpeting, and expanded electronic services. Since 1995 the Steele Memorial Library has been the Central Library for the Southern Tier Library System.