Hours at Steele Memorial Library
Tinker Lab Hours
Monday – Thursday: 12:00pm – 7:30pm
Friday – Saturday: 12:00pm – 4:00pm
Digital Media Lab Hours
Available by appointment, during library hours, to eligible library cardholders who have passed certification training. See lab descriptions below for more information about certification requirements for using the Digital Media Lab.
Technology Training Lab
Click here for a schedule of classes.
The CCLD Makerspace is located at Steele Memorial Library. A Makerspace is a place where people come together to create and learn about technology and crafts from professionals and capable people within their community.
We encourage people from all walks of life to come in to tinker and to find something they love to do. We will be holding regular training sessions on different technologies and arts. Stop by sometime. Tinker. Broadcast. Create.
Our goal is:
- To promote the free and selfless giving of knowledge.
- To encourage the members of the community to teach and learn without reservation.
- To maintain a space the community can be proud of.
- To develop programs that speak to the curiosity of students and citizens.
- To give experienced peoples every opportunity to pass on their crafts as mentors.
- To stay true to the impetus of the library model by proliferating ideas and imagination as much as we are able.
- To use knowledge to better ourselves, our town, our region, and our world.
- To nurture the creative spirit in people without prejudice or discrimination.
- To know that mistakes and setbacks are intrinsic to the process of learning.
- To actively promote projects that invoke multiple disciplines.
- To tinker, teach, encourage, create, learn, and above all else, to make.
CCLD Makerspace is made up of three labs: the Tinker Lab, the Digital Media Lab, and the Technology Training Lab.
The Tinker Lab is a place of invention. In this lab patrons are encouraged to use their hands, minds, and tools to create whatever they can imagine! The Tinker Lab currently houses our 3-D printers, laser engraver, button makers, sewing machines, paints, Arduino, Raspberry Pi, electronics kits, and much more to come!
Digital Media Lab
The Digital Media Lab is a broadcast media lab located on the second floor of the Steele Memorial Library. This lab contains equipment for podcasting, greenscreening, audio and video recording/editing, slide and film scanning, and more!
The Digital Media Lab is available for reservation by eligible cardholders who have passed certification training. During the certification class you will learn how to record and edit video and use a green screen to add background effects. Patrons under 16 must have a parent present during certification. Once you have successfully completed the certification class, you can use the Digital Media Lab at Steele independently. The certification classes take place in our third lab, the Technology Training Lab, or “Tech Lab”.
Technology Training Lab
The Technology Training Lab is a computer lab where you can take courses and learn to use various software and equipment from basic computer classes to 3D Printing software.
Click here for a calendar of upcoming programs taking place in the Technology Training Lab, including our Digital Media Lab Certification courses.
To schedule a training session for one of our certification classes (see below), please call 607-733-8609 during the Tinker Lab’s open hours, or E-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Digital Media Lab Certification at Steele
Become certified to use the Digital Media Lab. You must have a parent present if you are under 16. Once you have completed the certification class, you can use the Digital Media Lab at Steele independently.
3D Printer Certification at Steele
Become certified in the use of the 3D printers at the Steele Memorial Library MakerSpace. Completion of the certification process will allow you to use the 3D printers independently. Anyone under the age of 16 will be supervised in the use of the 3D printer.