Expectations for Acceptable Conduct
- Abusive behavior, whether physical or verbal, will not be tolerated by staff
or patrons. Abusive patrons will be required to leave the library and the
police will be called if these patrons refuse to leave.
- Loud, boisterous, and disruptive behavior will not be permitted.
Disruptive patrons will be given an initial warning and will then be
required to leave if this behavior persists.
- Destruction or defacing of library property and/or property of patrons will
be dealt with on an individual basis. Parents / guardians of minors under
age 16 found to be damaging library or personal property may be
contacted. The police may be contacted if damage occurs and violators
may be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
- Smoking is not permitted in the library.
- No food or beverages are allowed in the Steele Memorial Library. In
other neighborhood libraries, food and beverages may be served at the
discretion of the staff.
- Patron usage of library restrooms is limited to conventional purposes.
- Use of office equipment is allowed with permission of library staff.
- Theft of library materials and equipment or private property of staff or
patrons will be handled as a legal issue with the police being notified
immediately after discovery.
- Patrons are required to remain in public service areas unless specifically
asked and escorted into non-public areas by a staff member.
- Sexual behavior is not permitted and patrons engaged in such action will
be required to leave the library.
- No weapons of any kind are allowed in the library.
- With the safety of minors in mind, parents are required to remain with
their pre-school children at all times. Children below the age of 13 or
individuals needing adult supervision may not be dropped off or left
unattended. Parents (or the police) will be contacted if this guideline is
Adopted by the Board of Trustees at their April 17, 2008 meeting.