Opposing Viewpoints in Context is an online database covering today’s political and social issues in depth and from different perspectives. It is a great resource for students conducting research on a topic or for someone who wants an overview of a current issue in the news. This database is easy to navigate and rich in information. Opposing Viewpoints in Context is provided by the New York State Library.
- On the top center of the page there are five highlighted issues, each depicted by a photograph and a caption noting the subject. If you click on view more it will lead you to that topic’s information page.
- Underneath these pictures are issues listed in categories, view more expands these listings. If you click on the Browse Issues tab at the top of the page, there is a complete alphabetical index of topics included in the database.
- To the left of the homepage is Featured Video and Featured News clips. Many articles may be viewed by clicking on the featured newspaper title.
- There is a Basic search and Advanced search for searching a topic of interest or even a specific name, title of an article, or publication date.
- If you click on the tab marked Maps, using the picture index at the top of the page, you can select an issue by clicking on one of the thumbnail images . This section gives you statistical information, pinpointing various areas by scrolling over the map.
- Once you click on a subject, it will lead you to an informational page which provides you with a summary of that issue and a variety of resources pertaining to that topic including pro and con viewpoints, articles from varied sources, statistical data, audio and video clips and suggested websites.
Central Library Reference Department
Chemung County Library District